We use thread count to measure the quality of cotton bedding, the higher the better. But when it comes to silk, Thread count becomes unimportant. We use “Momme weight“instead, usually referred as “mm” or “MM”. One momme = 4.340 grams per square meter;
The typical momme weight range for a common silk types are:
- Charmeuse Silk – 16 to 30 momme weight
- Habutai silk – 5 to 16 momme weight
- Raw silk – 35 to 40 momme weight
- Chiffon – 6 to 8 momme weight
- Gauze – 3 to 5 momme weight
High momme weight means the silk fabric is more durable, feels thicker, more compact. Silk with higher momme weight is usually shinier and more lustrous due to a denser weave.
When it comes to our seamless silk Charmeuse bed sheets, does it mean 22 momme weight is better than 19 momme weight , and 25 momme weight is better than 22 momme weight ? And do we have even higher mm silk sheets, like 30 mm, 35 mm?
The answer is “YES & NO”.
- Yes, high momme weight means the silk fabric is more luxury, denser weave.
- No, you should not seek for too high momme weight, higher momme weight means more expensive and not soft as well. We would recommend 22mm or 25mm silk Charmeuse sheets.
And when it comes to silk sleepwear, we would recommend 22 momme weight silk Charmeuse nighties, which provides the best balance of strength, aesthetics and affordability.
Also available in: French