An old T-shirt may bring back memories of your past. Therefore, you had better not easily throw away your old T-shirt. In general, you can turn your old T-shit or a new large one to a nightie out of a T-shirt.
Step 1: Soften the shirt
- Place a pot with heat water on the stove and set the burner to medium. Wait until small bubbles form in the pot and then turn the heat down to low.
- Add one cup of salt to the hot water and stir it gently.
- Place the shirt in the pot, and stir it every few minutes for up to 30 minutes.
- Wash it.
Step 2: Alterations
- Turn the T-shirt over. If you want sleeveless nightie, cut your sleeves.
- Hem the missing sleeves with needle and thread or sewing machine.
- Put your existing nightgown over the T-shirt and keep their collars aligned. If there are sleeves, fold them. It is recommended to trace the nightgown on the T-shirt, if the nightgown is thinner than the T-shirt.
- Along the lines you draw, cut the sides of the T-shirt until you reach the holes for arms.
- Sew the two pieces of the T-shirt back together, and hem its sides.
- The bottom of the T-shirt can be cut into the shape of the lower half of the semicircle, if necessary.
- Choose oversized T-shirt, for it will shrink during the process of turning to a nightie.
- If you like, you can directly wear the softened T-shirt as a nightie.
- When you soften the T-shirt, do not let the water boil.