How Is Silk Made In China
How is silk made in china today?
1. Silk moths lay many tiny eggs during their lifespan of four to six days.
2. The caterpillars hatch out of eggs, and then they are fed a diet of mulberry leaves in a controlled environment.
3. The silk caterpillars (silkworms) surround themselves with fibers of a white jelly-like substance after storing up enough energy. Their cocoons are pretty and resemble white furry balls.
4. Place the cocoons into hot water to loosen up the tight protective filaments that are then unraveled, wound onto a spool, and later spun into thread.
5. Twist several cocoons together to make a thread, and then weave threads into cloth or used for fine embroidery.