How Many Types Of Silk Fabric Are There
What are the different types of silk fabric?
1. Mulberry silk comes from the silkworm which feeds on the leaves of mulberry plant and are completely domesticated and reared indoors. In general, mulberry silk contributes as much as 90 per cent of world production.
2. Tasar silk comes from tasar silkworms which belong to the genus Antheraea and they are all wild silkworms.
3. Eri silk comes from either of two species namely Samia ricini and Philosamia ricini.
4. Muga silk, an unusual golden-yellow silk thread which is very attractive and strong, come from the muga silkworms (Antheraea assamensis) which belong to the same genus as tasar worms.
5. Anaphe silk comes from the cocoon produced by the silkworms of the genus Anaphe. They spin cocoons in communes, all enclosed by a thin layer of silk.
6. Fagara silk is obtained from the giant silk moth Attacus atlas L.
7. Coan silk is produced by larvae of Pachypasa atus D., from the Mediterranean bio-geographic region feed primarily on trees such as pine, ash cypress, juniper and oak.
8. Spider silk is soft and fine but also strong and elastic. This silk comes from certain Madagascan species, including Nephila madagascarensis, Miranda aurentia and Epeira.