How to Sew Fitted Bed Sheets
1. Measure the mattress.
2. Fit the corners.
- Remove hems from an existing flat sheet.
- Place the sheet evenly on the mattress, right side of the fabric down.
- Pin a dart in place at each corner.
3. Sew the corner.
- Sew dart in place.
- Trim the dart to 1/2″”.
- Sew the raw edge in place with zigzag stitch.
- Turn sheet under 1/4″” and 1/4″” again to hem the edges of the sheet.
- Sew in place.
4. Attach Elastic. Cut 4 pieces of 1/4″” or wider elastic 10 inches long.
- Place each piece of elastic at bottom of each dart on the wrong side of the sheet.
- Stretch each end of elastic as far as possible to make it go along the edge of the sheet.
- Sew the elastic to the corners of the sheet with zigzag stitch, keeping the elastic stretched. Repeat on all four corners.