1. Silk Lingerie
There is no doubt that dry cleaning is the best way to wash some delicate materials like silk & satin lingerie. Besides, dry cleaning can protect it from shredding and fading.
However, if you really want to wash silk at home, you should be very careful. More importantly, you have to use mild detergents.
- Soak silk lingerie in cold detergent water for about 20 to 30 minutes to remove any stains or dirt particles.
- Do not use hot water. Otherwise, silk lingerie will fade.
- Rub silk lingerie very gently to remove any stains or marks.
- Place silk on a flat place to dry it.
- Iron silk when it is damp.
2. Leather Lingerie
Leather can be thought of as a type of skin. It is very easy to clean leather lingerie. You can clean leather lingerie like the way you clean your own skin to keep its beautiful, supple, pliable, and resilient.
- Cleaning Leather Lingerie at home
In most cases, you have to use a damp cloth or leather cleaner to clean leather lingerie. There are a variety of leather cleaners in store. Leather cleaners can remove any surface dust or dirt. When using a cleaner specifically for leather lingerie, you have to follow the manufacturers’ instructions.
- Hand Washing
- Before washing, prepare, treat, and remove any stains on the leather.
- Wash leather lingerie with warm soapy water made with gentle cleanser like baby shampoo, Dove or Ivory (unscented), or soap flakes
- Rub the leather with a soft cloth to produce lather in any area you want to clean.
- Wipe away excess lather by using a clean cloth.
- Rinse leather lingerie thoroughly. You can run it though water. Or, you can wipe it several times with a damp cloth.
- Use a clean towel to pat leather to remove excess water and moisture.
- Make leather dry flat in a warm place. Not only can direct sunlight cause heat damage but also be aware of any strong heat source like oven, fireplace, heater, stove, etc.
- Professional Leather Lingerie Cleaning
Very special or very delicate leather lingerie items may require professional cleaning. There are a variety of professional leather cleaners that can do it for you if you do not want to take any chances with cleaning it yourself.
Many dry cleaners offer leather cleaning services. This process is done by professionals, but slight variations in color, hue, texture, feel, and shape may result. Thus, please clean all matching lingerie items together even if only one piece requires cleaning.
- Washing Machine
Although you can wash leather by using a washing machine set on a very gentle (wool or delicate cycle) setting with warm or cool water, this method still can damage silk. Therefore, hand washing is the best choice for you.
3. Vinyl Lingerie
- Vinyl Lingerie is a very strong and resilient fabric, thus it is perhaps the easiest to clean.
- Hand washing is the best choice for you. You can wash it with mild soap and warm water.
- Do not absorb water at the same rate as the other garments although Vinyl Lingerie is strong.
- Vinyl will be much easier to handle it on your own with just the soap and water.
- Let it air dry unless the instructions on the label tell you otherwise.