Silk sheets are very beautiful, but they are expensive. However, silk is a natural strong fiber that can be preserved beautifully as long as you care for them properly. Now, the question is that how to wash, dry, iron, and store silk sheets.
Breaking In New Silk Sheets
- For new silk sheets, you should wash them carefully by hand at least the first few times to keep their luster and shine.
- It is recommended to wash new silk sheet with lukewarm water, silk detergent.
- Do not soak sheets for a long time.
- Place sheets on a towel, roll them and gently press them to remove excess water.
- Hang sheets to air dry, and keep them out of sun.
Washing Silk Sheets
- You can wash sheet by hand, or wash it by using a delicate cycle of a washing machine with a mild detergent. Whichever you choose, water should be no warmer than 30 degrees Celsius at the highest. Never wash more than one fabric at a time, and only one spin cycle should be used.
- Do not dry silk with a dryer for silk is prone to slight shrinkage and can be damaged by heat. You can dry the silk sheets outdoors and keep it out of direct sunlight. Or, you can line your sheets in the bathroom with an open window to dry them. And, you can place a standard room fan in the same area and aiming it at the silk sheets to dry it quickly. If you have to dry silk sheets in the dryer, you should use the lowest heat setting.
How to Iron Silk Sheet
- Damp silk sheet.
- Set the iron on the lowest setting.
- Iron the damp sheet.
- Hang silk sheet on an indoor line to prevent wind from wrinkling them again.
- Silk sheets will shrink after a few washes.
- Sheets should be kept out of the sun as much as possible.
- Take a shower before going to bed.
- Groom fingernails and toenails regularly.
How to Store Silk Sheet
- Place silk sheet in a cool dark place, away from insects and chemicals.
- Place silk in cloth bags for long term protection from moths and dust.
- Do not place silk sheet in plastic bags or boxes.
Different Types of Silk Sheets
- Different silk sheets have different blends, different momme weights.
- Cheapest silk sheets (a blend of polyester, cotton, or another smooth, silky material) are usually no more than 15 per cent silk.
- Standard silk sheets usually range between 16 and 22 mommes. In fact, 19 – 22 momme is a good balance between quality and durability in silk sheets.
Did this article help you?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count: