Although silk pajamas are expensive, more and more people like them, for they can make you feel cool in summer and warm in winter. However, silk pajamas need special care when cleaned. In general, you don’t need to take silk pajamas to dry cleaner. You can wash them at home as long as you follow the steps below.
- Test for color fastness by treating hidden part of clothing.
- Soak the fabric in warm water with a mild soap, no more than 5 minutes.
- Carefully rub stains under the soap-water. Do not rub too hard as this can damage the silk pajamas irreparably.
- Mix water with 1/4 cup vinegar, and then use this mixture to rinse to remove the soap and help restore shine.
- Rinse the silk pajamas with cold water.
- Spread the silk pajamas out on a towel and roll it up to remove excess water.
- Leave the silk pajamas on the towel.
- Let it air-dry.
- Iron the silk pajamas with low heat on the inside that is not seen.
- Put the silk pajamas on a padded hanger to cool, or lay scarves, etc. flat on a table or bed.
- Make sure the water is not too cold or too hot, for this will stretch or shrink the silk pajamas.
- Do not iron the outside of the material.