Although some silk pajama pants have loose waist and leg openings, you still have chance to convert them to elastic-banded pants as long as you flip some of the fabric at the waist and hems of your pants.
Steps to Sew Elastic Band into Pajama Legs
- You should stitch each end of the elastic band together to form three rings.
- Next, turn inside the pants, and then slide the elastic waistband over the top of the pants, and fold the waistband 1.5 inches.
- Third, slide the band up to the fold, and fix the fold in place on the elastic.
Note: It is normal that the fabric will heap in place because the elasticity is shorter than the fabric.
- Now, you can sew along the fixed edge of the waistband so that the seam below – not on – the elasticity.
Note: You must keep the fabric straight during stitching since the fabric is slightly bunched. When moving along the belt, straighten and flatten it.
- At this time, you can move to the first leg of the pants, and slide one of the elastic ankle rings over the end of the medial lateral legs, and then fold the hem of the leg 1.5 inches.
- You are supposed to slide the fabric up to the fold and secure the fold to the elastic. Then, you should sew a fixed edge along the hem so that the seam is under-not-over-elastic. Here, please perform the same straightening and smoothing tactics.
- After that, move to the other leg and repeat the process.
- Finally, turn the right side of the pants out.
Also available in: French