Using silk for quilting! People probably never had this idea in mind. In general, using silk for quilting is a good idea, for silk has a wonderful shine. Here are some useful tips when sewing and quilting with silk.
- Change the setting on the iron to low or medium temperature, do not use steam.
- Do not use small patterns pieces unless you first use the interface, keeping silk from sliding. If you want to use iron on interfacing, you should be very careful since it may cause fabric buckles.
- Silk can be used to as embellishment. We can fix it by using glass beads, or vintage buttons or charms.
Dying to Use Silk
Silk is easy to be dyed. You can purchase a dye for silk dying. Then, you can use water and iron to dye your own silk fabric to use in a quilt project.
- Wet the fabric.
- Place the fabric in a sandwich baggie.
- Apply a small amount of the silk dye on it.
- Gently squeeze the fabric until all the dye has been absorbed into the fabric.
- Take the fabric out of the baggie.
- Press it with a cool iron until the fabric is dry.