Are you a silk fan? Want to know how to choose and buy suitable silk bedding? Want to know how to care for silk bedding?
Why Silk Bedding
As we know, although silk bedding is the most expensive luxury bedding sets, most users like buying it.
- Silk is very smooth and feels great on skin.
- Silk, a naturally hypoallergenic fabric, can resists dust, fungus, mold and many other allergens.
- Silk regulates body temperature. It can keep you feel warm in cold winter while cool in hot summer.
- Silk is the longest lasting natural fabric.
- Silk helps your skin retain moisture and reduce damage caused by higher friction fabrics.
- Silk outlasts every other natural fabric and has a lifespan on par with polyester.
Types of Silk
Charmeuse Silk, a cultivated silk, is the most commonly recognized type of silk that can be found in everything from bedding to dresses to shirts. Charmeuse Silk is an ideal fabric for sheets, pillow cases and other kinds of bedding because this type of silk is lightweight and has a natural elasticity. The back of the fabric has a dull finish, but the front has a satin sheen to it.
Mulberry Silk, the highest quality of silk, is actually charmeuse silk that was cultivated from a special type of silkworm which is fed a very strict diet. The Bombyx mori, the silkworm which produces mulberry silk, prefers to eat the leaves of the mulberry tree. And, this particular type of silkworm has been carefully bred in captivity for over 5,000 years!
Tussah Silk is made from wild silkworms which have not been bred, and most wild silk comes from India. This type silk is not as soft or durable as cultivated silk, for the worms are not fed a strict diet or protected in the same way that cultivated silkworms are.
Habotai Silk is commonly used for making sheets and bedding. This type of silk is less durable than charmeuse, but it is “washed” with sand to make it feel as soft as charmeuse. However, this washing process destroys the fibers in the silk. Thus, Habotai Silk cannot be used for a long time.
Duppoini Silk, a strong, lustrous but coarse silk made from irregular cocoons that are not of the same quality you would find in charmeuse silk, is not ideal for sheets and most bedding. Although this type of silk is used in duvets, it does not work as well to maintain temperatures because of its quality.
Momme is the unit used when describing the weight of silk thread. In other words, momme weight describes the weight of 100 yards of silk, 45 inches wide, in pounds. Therefore, it is recommended to check labels for the manufacturer’s listing.
Silk’s type also helps determine the momme weight of the silk. For instance:
- Charmeuse silk is only found with a momme weight of 12 to 30.
- Habotai silk is usually only found with a momme weight of 5 to15.
In fact, you had better select a momme weight of greater than 14 for bedding. Here, our offers bedding is made with a momme weight of 22.
Silk Is A Temperature Regulator
Silk is actually perfect for all seasons.
The beautiful structure of silk allows a small but effective, amount of air to naturally, helping body regulate its temperature. Silk’s breathable nature allows that moisture to escape thus cooling your body when you overheat your body perspires. Silk helps body retain the natural heat it produces when you cool off less moisture is produced. In other words, silk keeps you cool in winter and warm in summer.
How to Choose Silk Duvet/ Comforter
Before choosing, you should consider the season.
- In winter, choose thicker silk duvets for they trap more of your body’s natural heat. Maybe, you will need many layers of silk to keep you warm during winter.
- In summer, choose thinner silk duvets for they allow more air to cool your body. And, it is recommended to choose one is usually between 2-4 tog and has no additional fabrics added to it.
In general, as long as you choose our silk duvet, you will find even our pure silk duvet is extremely warm throughout the winter.
How to Choose the Right Colors
- Blue, a beautiful and naturally calming color, helps you fall asleep according to a study. When it comes to blue, most people will firstly think of peace and calm.
- You can buy a blue duvet or blue bedding set to really make an impact on your sleep if you are not using blue in your room. If blue is the best color for your bedroom, you had better not choose brown and grey bedding.
- If you are looking to enhance your love life, you can choose colors like gold, yellow and orange.
- If you don’t sure if blue is the color for you, you can mix green and orange decor for a restful!
Silk Bedding for Guest Bedroom
To enhance the stay of your guests and impress them at the same time, you had better choose silk bedding, for silk’s health and sleep benefits will help cut down on crankiness from jet lag. And, silk bedding will make guest bedroom look elegant.
Besides, you can choose eye masks for they can help your guests get to sleep. And, buying a silk blanket or throw, for these blankets are warm, soft and perfect for the guest who is fickle about how much or how little coverage they want at night.
Here, you can visit out store to find a duvet, flat sheet, oxford and housewife pillowcases and silk mattress covers.
Silk Bedding Care Instructions
Silk can be washed less often than traditional cotton or synthetic fibers, for silk can naturally repels dirt, dust, oils and other grime that your bedding will accumulate.
Most silk can be washed in a large machine or by hand. But, you have to see specific instructions before washing, and follow these safety tips.
- Do no use bleach or any bleaching agents!
- Do not machine dry, for high heat and the tumbling motion can damage the fibers.
- Machine or hand wash silk with cold water.
- Let silk air-dry.
- Iron silk on the cool setting on the inside of the fabric.