How Are Bed Sheets Made
Bed sheet, a flat-woven textile, is used on a bed between the occupant of a bed and the warm blanket above. Bed sheets can generally be divided into two categories: fitted sheets and flat sheets.
How to make fitted sheets
- Measure the width, depth, and length of your mattress.
- Cut a piece of fabric according to measurements.
- Mark corner. Measure over the depth of the mattress plus 8 inches from the corner of the fabric along one outer edge, and then mark this spot. Measure up the depth of the mattress plus 8 inches from the marked spot, and mark this spot. Draw a line connecting that dot to the mark on the edge of the sheet, and draw another line connecting the dot to the edge of the fabric on the other side.
- Cut out the square by following the lines you drew.
- Fold the fabric and bring the cut edges of each corner together.
- Pin the cut edges together at each corner.
- Sew the cut edges together with a .5-inch seam allowance.
- Sew fitted sheets by folding the hems over .5 inch.
- Fold and pin the hems over another .5 inch.
- Sew the hems of the homemade fitted sheet.
- Cut 4 pieces of elastic that measure 16-inches long.
- Thread 1 piece of elastic through the hem in 1 corner of the sheet.
- Sew the elastic in place on both sides of the corner.
- Thread the elastic through the hems on the remaining 3 corners.
How to make flat sheets
- Cut out your sheeting according to the dimensions for your bed size.
- Pin top trim to top edge of bottom half of flat sheet. Sew 3/4“ seam allowance. Over-lock seam edges together. Press seam towards top trim. Press back 3/4“ turning back towards wrong side of top trim.
- Fold back the top trim in half and make sure edge covers seam. Then, pin place to secure and edge stitch in place near edge.
- Press back bottom hem 1“ towards wrong side.
- Turn back bottom hem again 1“ towards wrong side and edge stitch in place.
- Press side edges 1/2“ towards wrong side.
- Turn back side edges again 1/2“ towards wrong side and edge stitch in place.