How to Get Smell/ Stink Out of Silk
If you silk bed sheets of silk clothing have strong odor, even like fish, then what you bought are fake silk or low quality silk fabric made of non-mulberry silk fibers.
Silk fabric made from real mulberry fiber is of very little smell that you can’t notice generally, like a little bit of fragrance.
In case you bought a “silk” garment made from low quality silk fiber, with strong smell, hand-wash it with neutral or special detergent for silk, in cold water. This should generally remove the smell.
If not, then you are buying a fake silk garment, ask for return or refund.
Feel free to try our mulberry silk sleepwears, they won’t have strong smell.
How to Remove Odor from New Silk Clothes
It can be difficult to remove odor (smoke or body odor) from silk clothes due to its delicate nature. However, you can try the following way to remove odor.
Steps to Remove Odors from Silk
- Sprinkle the baking powder on the silk item to absorb and neutralize the odor. Keep it for one night
- Pour cold water into a sink or washing tub, and add a mild laundry detergent and 1/2 cup of white vinegar.
- Place the silk in the mixture, and gently massage it to absorb the cleaning mixture. Let it soak for 30 to 60 minutes, which depends on how strong the odor is.
- Remove the silk from the water.
- Rinse the silk with cold water. Never rinse it under running water, for that can damage delicate silks.
- Place the silk in a dry, clean towel, and then gently roll up the towel to squeeze too much moisture.
- Let the silk air dry. Repeat this process until the odor is removed.
How to Remove Odor From Silk: Pet Odors or Body Odor
It is often difficult to remove body odor from silk fabric. Silk is delicate and requires special cleaning instructions. You should choose a proper method to remove odor without damaging the silk. Maybe, you can try the following solution to completely eliminate the odor.
Steps to Remove Body Odor from Silk Linen
- Pour cold water into a sink or bathtub, and then add a mild laundry detergent and 1/2 cup white vinegar.
- Submerge the silk in the mixture solution. Carefully massage the wire to let it absorb the cleaning solution.
- Remove the silk item after at least 30 minutes. Replace the mixture in the sink or bathtub with cold water
- Submerge the silk in the cold water, and gently massage it to remove soap.
- Remove the silk items after 30 minutes, and then place it in a clean bath towel. Next, roll up the towel to squeeze out the excess water in the items.
- Hang silk items to dry it. You should repeat this process until the odor is completely removed from the silk.
How to Get Rid of Fishy Smell from Raw Silk
Silk emitted by the silkworm consists of two main proteins, sericin and fibroin, fibroin being the structural center of the silk, and serecin being the sticky material surrounding it.
Raw silk smelt of fish, and the fish smell comes from sericin. If the fabric is not completely degummed, fishy smell will remain on the raw silk. In this situation, you can try the following solution to remove this odor from silk.
Steps to Remove Fishy Smell from Raw Silk
- First, place the raw silk item into a washing machine, set the machine to the cold water option and then change to the Delicate setting. Never use regular settings or hot water for these will damage the silk.
- Add mild detergent to the machine to start washing.
- Hang it in a shade place and let it dry. Or, you can place it in a dryer without any heat to dry it.
- Repeat the cleaning process for a several times to completely remove the fishy smell. The only way to eliminate the smell of fish is to wash silk until the gum is removed.