Fitted sheets, bottom sheets, are used to cover the mattress and provide a smooth and soft surface for the sleeper to lie on.
In 1959, Bertha Berman patented a design for fitted sheets that had corners sewn in a way that would fit the sheet to the mattress. Although these sheets were still less than perfect as they still managed to pop off the bed, they provided a convenient alternative to flat sheets because they would maintain their placement with little or no slippage allowing repeatedly comfortable sleeping.
In 1990, Gisele Jubinville created a fitted sheet deep corner pockets that grab a mattress and keep it from slipping off the mattress while the bed is in use.
Function and Benefits
- Cover the mattress to create a clean and cleanable surface for sleeping.
- Fitted top sheets keep the comforter/blanket clean.
- The bottom two corners are fitted to the mattress, thus sleeper cannot kick them loose.
- Sheets can be washed regularly to protect mattress from accumulating germs and bed mites.
- Sheets can protect people from any dirt or germs on the mattress.
- Fitted sheets come in different materials, including cotton, linen, flannel, t-shirt fabric and satin.
- Fitted sheets also come in different styles to fit different types of mattresses.
- For regular depth mattresses, you can choose standard fitted sheet.
- For extra thick mattress, you can choose deluxe fitted sheets with deep pockets.
- For round bed, you can choose fitted sheets for specialty round sheets.
Parents should be extra careful with fitted sheets, for the high risk of SIDS and babies smothering in their sleep. They have to make sure that the fitted sheet fits the bed snugly.
Did this article help you?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count: