In past years, only royalty or the extremely wealthy could use silk, a luxurious and highly-prized fabric. But now, we are able to use. However, some bad silk products came onto the market. In this situation, do you know how to identify quality silk products?
If light shines upon silk, genuine silk will sparkle brightly, and change colors and will not shine white like synthetic fibers do. High quality silk has its unique luster, for fine silk combines a unique blend of threads of different single colors in each weft.
Look & Feel
- High quality silk is very smooth.
- High quality silk is not overly slippery.
- For high quality silk product, you can stretch the fabric up to 10 to 20% and afterwards it will return to its initial shape, since silk has a good elongation.
- Quality silk will appear unwrinkled and uniform in color.
- Mulberry silk is a very uniform, white-colored silk with very few variations in color.
Momme weight is used to measure the surface density of silk and reflects the quality of silk products. For instance, 1 momme equals 4.340 grams per square meter. The higher the momme weight the heavier the fabric which means a greater amount of silk was used in the weaving process. For silk bed sheets, a momme weight of 19 – 25 is considered good quality. Opacity is a good way to recognize a high momme count. As the momme count increases, silk products tend to become more opaque.
Did this article help you?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count: