Cleaning raw silk which is a beautiful fabric with a unique luster can be challenging because it often shrinks. Besides, the residue from soap or other cleansers can dull the sheen of the fabric. However, compared with dry cleaning, you had better wash it by your hand. Here, you can successfully clean your silk without sacrificing the natural luster of the material as long as you own a few basic household ingredients.
Steps to clean raw silk
- Fill a basin with lukewarm water and several drops of mild liquid soap, and then soak the silk in it.
- Rinse the silk with cool water until all the soap is disappeared.
- Add 1/4 cup of white vinegar to cool it, and then clear water in the basin. Next, rinse the silk in the vinegar-water mixture.
- Rinse the silk again with clear water.
- Finally, lay flat to dry.
- Do not wash silk in the washing machine, for that can damage the luster of the silk.
- Never put raw silk in the dryer. Otherwise, the material could shrink.