We know that fibers are what fabrics are made of. There are many kinds of silk fibers which can be divided into 2 groups:
Mulberry Silk Fiber
- Mulberry silk is the long natural silk fiber produced by matured and domesticated silkworm and is lightweight, soft and absorptive of moisture.
- Mulberry silk contains over 18 amino acids and protein fibers which can delay skin and hair aging.
- The moisture absorption of the silk comforter is 1.5 times higher than cotton comforter.
- Mulberry silk is hypoallergenic which is healthy for aged and sick people.
Non-mulberry Silk Fibers
- Eri silk belongs to either of two species namely Samia ricini and Philosamia ricini. P.ricini (also called as castor silkworm) is a domesticated one reared on castor oil plant leaves to produce a white or brick-red silk popularly known as Eri silk.
- Tasar silk is the second most produced silk behind mulberry silk. Mulberry silk is created by caterpillars that eat mulberry leaves exclusively.
- Muga silk comes from the cocoons of caterpillars that are only found in Assam, India. Some caterpillars who produce eri silk are raised on the leaves of the castor oil plant.
Some basic and most commonly-seen silk types are below.
Charmeuse Silk Fabric
- Charmeuse silk can be made from a variety of different silk like Mulberry silk.
- Charmeuse silk, made with a particular way of weaving, is often used to make silk pillowcases and silk duvet covers.
- Charmeuse silk offers better drape than crêpe de chine, and is suitable for scarves, blouses and lingerie.
Dupion Silk Fabric
- Produced from two silkworms that spin a cocoon together, dupion silk is a strong double-thread silk with some black specks.
- Doupion silk is durable and lustrous.
- Doupion silk can resist wrinkles to some extent.
Tussah Silk Fabric
- Tussah silk, a type of wild silk with short and coarse fibers, is produced by silkworms that feed on oak and juniper leaves, and is widespread in China and other Asian countries like India.
- Tussah silk is difficult to dye and often keeps its original color, a creamy tan.
- Tussah silk is lightweight, airy and gives a cool comfort to the wearer.
- What’s more, it is not easy to wrinkle.
- Chiffon is a light and matt fabric made of fine twisted yarns.
- It is very soft and elastic, highly breathable and comfortable.
- Chiffon clothes normally require lining or backing.
Crêpe de Chine Fabric
- Crêpe de Chine is a lightweight fabric made of mulberry silk fibers.
- Crêpe de Chine is comfortable and breathable and wrinkles easily at the rate of 8%.
Habotai Silk Fabric
- Habotai silk, China silk, is a kind of smooth fabric and has a beautiful drape and smooth surface.
- Habotai silk weights range from 5 mm to the heavier 12 mm.
For a complete list of silk fabrics, read the article below:
Did this article help you?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count: