Some women like wearing nightdresses, for they can feel sexy as well as comfortable at bedtime.
Although many different materials like silk, satin, cotton, nylon and wool can be used to make nightdress, silk nightdress is the most popular because of its silky texture and comfort. However, it is not difficult to find a right one. Here, the good news is that we can make a homemade nightdress by ourselves.
1. Determine the Style for the Silk Nightdress
Decide the style as well as the color of the nightdress.
2. Measure Length for the Silk Nightdress
- Make the following measurements: bust, arms, front collar, buttocks, waist, and width of your back with a tape measure.
- If you need a knee-length nightdress, measure the length from your shoulder to your thigh and note the measurements.
3. Cut materials for the Silk Nightdress
- Place the fabric on a flat and clean table, and fold it into two.
- Use chalk to draw the style of your nightdress on the fabric.
- Cut the folded area to get two fabrics for the front and back of your nightdress.
- Cut the pattern you made on the fabric and leave at least one inch from the edge of the fabric to the pattern of your pajamas.
- Pin the two cut-out fabrics together in the one inch place.
4. Sew the Silk Nightdress
- Sew the shoulder seam with a sewing machine. Remove the other shoulder of the pin, open the two fabrics, and hem the front as well as back neckline. Sew the lace to the front neckline, and stitch the other shoulder to close it.
- Sew one side of the nightdress. Open the two fabrics, hem the armholes and the hemline. Add another lace to hemline, and sew the other side seam.
Finally, you can add some decorations like a ribbon or button on silk nightdress.