Do you know the difference between down and feather? The most obvious difference between the two groups is that feather has a noticeable quill.
Where down comes from?
Firstly, you need to know where both down and feather come from if you want to fully understand the differences. We can find down and feathers on a bird, but we cannot use all of these down and feathers to make pillows. Sleeping pillows, jackets and comforters use down that are come from waterfowl.
We always find down in the breast area of the bird. Generally, down is three to four times more expensive than the price of feather because the amount of feathers greatly outnumbers the down.
How to process down?
We have to separate down from feather. Insert both down and feather into a large chamber. Air flows through it. Air jets actually loft the down and feather. Then, the air stops flowing. The heavier feathers fall to the bottom of the chamber, while the down settles at the top because it is much lighter. Remove the down and feather from the chamber. Grade them and use them accordingly. For sleeping pillows & down comforters, both down and feather are excellent fillings.
- A down cluster is unstructured, allowing it traps more air. Actually, the insulation is provided by air.
- Down can hold in your body heat, but it cannot actually generate heat.
- Down, or feather, or a combination of them can be used to make sleeping pillows.
- Due to the feathers density and more structured nature, feather pillows are usually firmer than down pillows.
- Both down pillows and feather pillows are very popular. Down and feather unquestionably make the best sleeping pillow.
|Purpose||Down, a wonderful filler, is widely used in down comforters, coats and sleeping pillows.||Feathers is an excellent filler for sleeping pillow.|
|Quill||Although down has quill, it is pretty much undetectable.||Feather quills are much more noticeable.|