No doubt, everyone wants to invest in a quality long-term project. Users who own wool, cashmere or silk clothing and home items want to know whether they can prevent moth damage. In general, they can try the tips below to prevent moth damage.
Prevent Moth Damage in Wool, Cashmere & Silk
- Keep wool, silk or cashmere clothing clean, for insects prefer soiled garments.
- Keep your house clean and well vacuumed to prevent moths from growing and spreading.
- Make sure there is no perfume on your clothing since moths can be attracted to perfume.
- Sometimes, wool, cashmere or silk are parts of a fabric blend or are on the edge of the garment item, thus please treat these pieces like a non-mixed knit.
- Dry clean your wool, cashmere or silk knits at first, and then store them in an air tight container or bag, which can kill all egg deposits that are on your item and prevent growth during storage.
- When you store wool, cashmere or silk knits, add mothballs, cedar pieces or herbal bags filled with lavender or rosemary.
- Place moth balls or cedar blocks on a piece of paper in the air tight container so they do not leave any residue on your clothing item.
- Use new moths, sachets and cedar blocks on a quarterly basis.
- If possible, store your items in a cedar chest which is the safest place for your garments.