Silk screen printing, also known as serigraphy or silkscreening, has a long history, dating back to 1000 years ago in China. Made popular in the twentieth century by pop artist Andy Warhol and his famous Marilyn Monroe prints, silkscreen printing is a tedious stenciling method and this printing art sometimes takes years to truly master.
Silk screening business is one of the easiest ways to break into entrepreneurship. You not only can work with a variety of clientele and sell your goods in a number of venues, but also can operate the business from your home. Besides, the start-up costs are relatively low.
- Create a short name for your screen printing business. For instance, you can use as your domain for your website, and then visit GoDaddy.com to check that the name is available. If it confirmed, purchase it and register your business at your county clerk’s office and obtain liability insurance.
- Invest in design software. Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and CorelDRAW can help you for screen printing and support color separations. You can choose a suitable one according to actual needs. For instance, if you are using business logos that need to be shrunken or enlarged, you can choose CorelDRAW for it is vector based.
- Choose a hosting company to host your site. Learn as much as possible about search engine optimization (SEO), and how to drive more traffic to your site. It is recommended to incorporate SEO when designing your site.
- Reorganize your home to fit your screen printing business. You should prepare a dark, well- ventilated area to coat and expose your screens and a rinsing station to wash your screens when finished.
- Choose a screen printer for your home-based business. You can consider purchasing used equipment to save your money.
- Buy your screen and ink. It is recommended to choose aluminum-framed screens instead of wooden-framed screens. Although aluminum-framed screens will cost more, they are more durable and easier to wash than wooden-framed screens, and they won’t warp after washes. You also need to consider the mesh count. Keep this in mind while you are selecting your ink: shimmer and glitter inks, which require more space to move through, require a lower mesh count.
- Purchase flags, posters, mouse pads, aprons, banners, bags as well as blank shirts, and begin creating your designs. Build a portfolio of your work to present to potential clients. Populate your site with your products.