It can be difficult to remove odor (smoke or body odor) from silk clothes due to its delicate nature. However, you can try the following way to remove odor.
Steps to Remove Odors from Silk
- Sprinkle the baking powder on the silk item to absorb and neutralize the odor. Keep it for one night
- Pour cold water into a sink or washing tub, and add a mild laundry detergent and 1/2 cup of white vinegar.
- Place the silk in the mixture, and gently massage it to absorb the cleaning mixture. Let it soak for 30 to 60 minutes, which depends on how strong the odor is.
- Remove the silk from the water.
- Rinse the silk with cold water. Never rinse it under running water, for that can damage delicate silks.
- Place the silk in a dry, clean towel, and then gently roll up the towel to squeeze too much moisture.
- Let the silk air dry. Repeat this process until the odor is removed.