Indian woman will wear silk saree for wedding and other special occasions. However, it is really hard to remove stains from silk fabric. Before removing a stain from a silk saree, you should identify the type of stain. Then, try different methods to remove stains.
How to Remove Protein Stains from Silk Sarees
- Apply a small amount of liquid detergent on the stain with a cotton bud, and let it stay on it for 30 minutes.
- Rinse the entire Indian silk saree with cool water by hand.
How to Remove Grease Stains from Silk Sarees
- Apply a thin layer of talc on grease stain like butter, margarine, cooking oil, or even some cosmetics like lipstick.
- Talc or talcum powder will draw out the grease.
- Remove the powder from the silk saree by using a soft brush.
How to Remove Coffee and Tea Stains from Silk Sarees
- Place saree on a flat surface.
- Mix three tablespoons of white distilled vinegar and three tablespoons of room temperature water.
- Apply the vinegar mixture to the stained area by using a sponge or a clean cloth, without rubbing.
- Rinse the stained area.
Tip: For particularly stubborn coffee or tea stains, you can use pure vinegar instead of dilution.
How to Remove Nail Polish Stains from Silk Sarees
- Apply acetone onto the stained area and then dabbed immediately.
- Do not scrub it, for the nail polish should lift off automatically.
Dry Cleaning Silk Sarees
Sometimes, your stains cannot be removed by using the above methods. At this time, take your saree to a professional dry cleaner for they can use special chemicals that won’t damage the material.
Although there are at-home dry cleaning solutions, you had better not try them since they may damage the material.
- Do not wash two sarees in the same tub or washing machine at one time.
- Never use bleach.