If you want to sew a nightgown effectively, you must know the basic garment construction and sewing techniques. And, it is recommended to make your own nightgown with your measurements before investing in the nightgown industry.
Step 1: Measure and cut pieces for the nightgown
- Measure the length of the nightgown, and add 2 inches to this measurement.
- Measure the widest part of your body. It is recommended to add 3 inches to this measurement and then divide it in half.
- Fold and fix a large piece of fabric together. Draw a rectangle using the above measurements.
- Cut the rectangle out of the folded fabric and remove all the pins.
- Stack the fabric rectangle with the right side of the fabric.
- Arrange the rectangle.
Step 2: Create V-neck
- Measure the distance from neck to the lowest point of your desired neckline, and add 1/2 inch to this measurement.
- Determine the center of the top edge, and mark a small dot at the top edge of your nightgown.
- Connect the dots to create a V-neck of your nightgown, and cut along these lines through both layers of fabric.
Step 3: Sew the side seams of the nightgown
- Sew both sides of the nightgown together, and leave 2 armholes in your nightgown.
- Sew the top of the nightgown at the two uncut edges of the neckline.
Step 4: Add lace to the nightgown
- Put the right side of the nightgown turned out.
- Expand a double fold tape, and fold it in the opening of the armholes and along the front collar and back collar. Fix the bias belt in place.
- Place the bias tape to the nightgown as close as possible to the opening side of the bias tape.
- Fold the hem under 1/2 inch and iron the fold to set a crease. Fold the hem again to completely encase the original edge of the fabric, and sew the hem in place.