Silk is sensitive to cleaning and many kinds of laundry detergents. When you remove makeup from silk, you are more careful. The rich colors of silk can often bleed and silk is delicate, so be sure to test before removing. Dip a cotton swab in cleaning agent and water, and then dab a small, inconspicuous portion of the material. Check out the following guide on how to remove various kinds of makeup stains from your silk.
Step 1. Determine the Makeup Types
Lipstick, foundation, eyeliner, and mascara can stain your silk. Different stains need different cleaning agent. Before removing the makeup marks, you need to know the type of makeup on your silk fabric.
Step 2. Remove Fresh Makeup
Dip a cotton ball in the lukewarm water, and lightly dab the fresh makeup from the outside into the center.
Step 3. Remove Denatured Alcohol for Lipstick
- Denatured alcohol helps get lipstick stains out of silk.
- Dip a cotton ball with small amount denatured alcohol.
- Gently rub the stains from the outside into the center.
- If this doesn’t work, use a toothbrush to gently rub in a small circular, and keep on blotting until the stain comes up.
Step 4. Remove Liquid Foundation, Mascara, and Eyeliner Stains
- Hydrogen peroxide can whiten fabric. To remove liquid foundation stains, eyeliner stains and mascara stains, try using hydrogen peroxide.
- Apply hydrogen peroxide on a cotton ball.
- Gently dab the stains with the ball. Do not scrub the area to avoid spreading it further.
Step 5. Remove Other Kinds of Stains
- Use diluted household ammonia to remove other kinds of stains.
- Wear a pair of rubber gloves.
- Mix a ratio of two parts of water with one part ammonia.
- Dip a cotton or soft clean cloth in this strong agent.
- Gently dab the makeup stains.
Did this article help you?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count: