Cleaning rust stains is simple, for almost any cleanser containing citric acid can do it. However, it is really difficult to remove rust from silk for irritating chemicals present in most commercial cleaners can damage the surface of the fabric. In general, as long as you turn to a few basic household ingredients, you can remove rust stains from silk without bringing any damage to it.
Steps to remove rust from silk
- Directly squeeze the lemon juice to the rust stain.
- Cover the stain with table salt with about 5 minutes.
- Rinse the item with warm water to remove all salt and lemon juice.
- Repeat steps 1 to 3 until the stain has disappeared.
- After that, dab the treated area with a cloth dipped in white vinegar to restore it to its original luster.
It the above solution cannot help you, you can try applying a paste made of Bar Keeper’s Friend mixed with water to the stain, and let it sit before rinsing.